top of page
Branch Library Hours

Halfway  541-742-5279

Tue    1-4pm

Thur   1-6pm

Fri      1-5pm

Sat     1-4pm

Richland  541-893-6088

Mon   10am-2pm

Tue    9am-1pm

Fri      10am-2pm

Sat     9am-12pm

Idaho Power Campgrounds

The Hells Canyon area contains four developed campgrounds. These campgrounds have water and 30-amp electric hookups.

Carters Landing is a semi-developed campground also located in the Hells Canyon area. It’s a first-come, first-served park and camping fees must be paid at the park’s fee station. It has a vault toilet and picnic tables but no water or electric hookups.

For all up-to-date pricing and information about Idaho Power campgrounds, please visit their website here.

Oxbow Fish Hatchery Closed

Idaho Power's Oxbow Fish Hatchery in Hells Canyon is closed to the public while  an extensive remodel and expansion of the hatchery is underway. The renovation is expected to be completed and the hatchery re-opened by the end of 2024.

Kirkwood Creek Bridge Closure

   The bridge located at the Kirkwood Historic Ranch about 5.5 miles south of the National Recreation Trail #102 trailhead at Upper Pittsburg Landing is closed. A new bridge is in process, but has yet to be finished and open.

   An alternative crossing for hikers may be available at the footbridge near the mouth of the creek, approximately 300 feet downstream of the closed bridge. This is a small bridge, not suitable for stock use, and high water flows during the spring may submerge the deck at times.

   For more information, contact the Forest Service offices in Joseph (541-426-5546) or Riggins (208-628-3916), or visit the website.

Water Safety

    If you are going to spend time on the water, the Baker County Sheriff's Office would like to remind boat operators and passengers to pack extra supplies and be prepared for water-related outings. Weather can change drastically in a matter of hours, and water rescues are especially dangerous at night due to decreased visibility and often high winds on the reservoir.

     Be sure to make friends and family members aware of your plans, including departure times and specific travel routes or destinations. This will significantly decrease rescue time if something happens. Plan ahead, be prepared, and enjoy your boating activities.

Health Advisory

     Idaho DEQ has issued a health advisory for waters near the Big Bar camping area on Hells Canyon Reservoir and the Woodhead Park area in Brownlee Reservoir. Recent samples indicate high concentrations of toxin-producing cyanobacteria, commonly known as a toxic algae bloom, which can be harmful to people, pets, and livestock. Visitors are urged to use caution when recreating in or near the reservoirs: avoid swimming, wading, or other activities. Keep children, pets, and livestock from the water. Do not drink or cook with water containing a bloom. Boiling and filtering the water can actually increase risk. Wash hands thoroughly after handling fish caught in water experiencing a bloom. Any fish caught should be cleaned and washed thoroughly in uncontaminated water, and any internal organs disposed of before consumption. For more information, visit the Idaho SW District Health website.



Brownlee Reservoir Update

   As of April 16, 2024, Brownlee Reservoir is at 2,057 feet, which is 20 feet under the reservoir's full pool level of 2,077. This level allows access to all parks on the reservoir. For current reservoir elevation information, check the Idaho Power website.

     A health advisory has been issued for Brownlee Reservoir due to a harmful algae bloom caused by high levels of toxic algae, also known as cyanobacteria. Please use caution in or near the water. See the Southwest District Health Department's advisory for additional information and resources.

Snake River Quagga Mussel

 September 2023 - The ISDA has confirmed the presence of quagga mussel in the Mid-Snake River. These findings mark the first time a rapid response plan has been put into action for quagga mussels in Idaho.

 Closures are in place in and along the Snake River until further notice as the investigation in the area continues.

For more information, visit Idaho Power's website.

ODFW Electronic Licensing System

    ODFW's electronic licensing system allows hunters and anglers to carry their documents electronically on their smart phone or tablet and tag fish and wildlife with a mobile app that will even work off-line. An FAQ about the system is available at the ODFW website.

Snow Pack Information

    As of April 16, 2024, the Schneider Meadows SnoTel site, elevation 5400 feet, is reporting a snow depth of 54".

     Check the recent weather and snow pack reports from Schneider Meadows SnoTel site and the Sparta Butte RAWS site for updates. More information is also available from the Wallowa Avalanche Center.  The WWNF also has snowmobile trail maps and condition reports available on their website.

bottom of page